So Anyway,

Thoughts and comments on happenings in my life....

Friday, August 04, 2006

Setback...:(

Just an update on my Dad...my Mom called me yesterday with news that the surgery had been cancelled. Apparently, the CT scan showed nodules in his ribs and a spot in his pelvis...a question of metastasis (cancer spreading). The doctor spoke of more tests and possibly chemo to shrink the nodes. My mother and I had a good cry together on the phone and she of course said that she and my father would discuss all options when they have more information. The thought of him going through chemotherapy at his age and health scares me to death, but it is totally his decision. He has an ultrasound today and Monday he has a total body bone scan. This is when they inject dye into you and look for "activity" in areas. If they see "activity" they do more tests in that area to look for cancer. He will get results on Tuesday. I'm staying over there with the boys on Sunday night so that I can babysit my neices on Monday so my brother or his wife don't have to take another day off....I'm happy to do whatever I can to help and to go up and spend some time with them.

I spent the day yesterday talking to my family and crying a lot. If feels like someone has knocked the wind out of you. I feel so bad for my father. It's so weird that you know without a doubt that you will lose your parents someday, and even if you are lucky that they have lived a good life, it still is so hard to comprehend..... My mother made me feel better by saying that it is almost a gift that we have this time (if it is really bad news..) to be together and support each other.

Thanks for all your prayers and good thoughts and please keep them coming.

5 Comments:

  • At 11:15 AM, Blogger Norma said…

    Oh, crap, Mrs. T. : ( Sorry to hear that the news is not good. (But you are putting your radiology knowledge to good use -- I am sure you'll be able to explain things to your family members in plain English). This is one time when I can honestly say, I know how you feel. I know you have a loving and open relationship with your dad, so I just say, take advantage of that and make the most of whatever time you can spend with him (and your kids, too). Hope he is not feeling too terrible physically and can enjoy being with his family. Hugs & love, babe.

     
  • At 3:20 PM, Blogger Stephie Says..... said…

    You are all in our prayers....Make the time you have a happy and loving time for wonderful memories of the past and present. All my love and God Bless xoxoxoxo

     
  • At 3:43 PM, Blogger anonymous blogging woman..... said…

    I talked to grandma last night and she sounded better, and she said she was glad she didn't have to break the news to me since my mother already had. I cried all day yesterday....he's not gone yet and we have to have faith that we'll have more time with Papa.

     
  • At 5:46 PM, Blogger Drew said…

    Karen, I'm so sorry to hear about this. We'll just keep praying for Gods will, because His will is always best. Both my parents are gone (and Nancy's too) and at the end, we spent time reading Scriptures and saying the sinners prayer (over and over and over...) This time is a gift. It's up to each of us to do the best with the time that is given us.

    The Bible says that in the Lord a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years like a day. So when our loved ones who have passed on and are in Heaven, they can look at the watches and say: "well, they'll be here in about 20 minutes." I really cling to that belief...it's so comforting to think of our loved ones shedding this earthly shell, and never be sick, or feel pain, or sadness again. Honestly Karen, I can't wait!

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    Thank you all for your kind words.. I think I have a handle on this... I'm lucky that I have friends and family to share things with..

     

Post a Comment

<< Home