So Anyway,

Thoughts and comments on happenings in my life....

Monday, September 04, 2006

Crikey!!

Have you heard about Steve Irwin, the crocodile Hunter? He was killed by a stingray while diving in the great barrier reef of Austrailia... Apparently, the stingray's stinger went right into his heart while he was swimming over it...

Now this is disturbing to me on many levels.. First, my sons LOVED watching crocodile hunter on Animal Planet and we were all fascinated by Steve Irwin's abilities to wrestle the great beasts and also for his love of all species of animals. We loved imitating his accent and hearing about the birth of his children with his American wife. So Steve will be missed.

Second, I recently SWAM WITH THE STINGRAYS!!!! While on a cruise we stopped in Grand Cayman and a group of us, including my two children, swam with the stingrays outside of Stingray Island. It was one of the best experiences of my life! They were so gentle and soft. They were also much, much bigger than I imagined they would be. The instructor told us to shuffle our feet as we walked, so we wouldn't accidently step on one... so I'm glad I did it, but I don't think I'll be doing it again..

Here's to the life of Steve Irwin.. I hope he's in crocodile heaven....

9 Comments:

  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger Drew said…

    Well said, Karen. We loved him too. :-(

     
  • At 7:53 PM, Blogger anonymous blogging woman..... said…

    i hear ya on the swimming with the rays....i did it too and we have lots of them in SD!

    poor steve....i hate to say it but it seems inevitable....couldn't it have been from a croc?!

     
  • At 4:53 AM, Blogger melissa said…

    We too are deeply saddened-we feel as if we knew him-watching his family grow,all their "adventures". My 10 yr old has been praying for Steves family, since we heard the news.

     
  • At 5:34 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    We have too. He just seemed larger than life and it is such a sad thing to see him gone. I hope his wife continues his work. I think the stingray must have been startled, because it is so unusual for this type of thing to happen.

    On another note, there is a famous man who studied grizzlies and made documentaries and he was recently mauled by a grizzy and killed. (I forget his name..) but it is strange.

     
  • At 10:54 AM, Blogger Stephie Says..... said…

    We here are also saddened by his tragic passing. I hope his children years down the line see how much their father was loved by the world and we embrace them to continue his legacy.God Bless the Crock Hunter!

     
  • At 4:51 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    Hey Karen/Stephie/Norma (our MA. connection). Nancy and I have a question we'd like to ask via email. My email address is on my photoblog but what the heck..I'll put it here.
    drew.hyatt@gmail.com

    So...hopefully you guys can email us when you get a chance. LaterGators!

     
  • At 4:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just realized that I said Later Gator on my last comment. I shouldn't have said that on this post. Shorry!

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yeah. i was kinda disapointed with his death and how he died. i mean...he's called the CROCODILE HUNTER and yet he died with a stingray's barb through his heart. I thought he was going to get eaten by a croc or something like that. but then again they did say that the ocean would kill him...

    "STEVE, I THOUGHT YOU WERE IMMORTAL. HOW I WISH IT WERE TRUE..."
    - A MOURNING FAN-

    (Me)

     
  • At 6:09 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    Hey Ash!!!

    Can you believe it... very sad.. Did you check out Jessica's post about the 12 year old boy in Australia?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home