So Anyway,

Thoughts and comments on happenings in my life....

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Cold and Car-less (for a couple days..)

Sorry I've been away, I've been pouting. My stupid truck broke down outside of Macy's Friday night at the same time I was supposed to be picking up Matt from a dance. What did we ever did without cell phones??? Called Guy to come and check it out, called a friend to go get Matt. Called AAA for a tow. It was the starter, but we didn't know that yet.. Had it towed to my mechanic whom I called first thing Saturday morning. He asks is it covered? Of course, Bill is away with Billy for the weekend, so I have to slosh through all the paperwork and lo and behold we have MAJOR GUARD, so it is covered, but I have to take it to a GM dealership. By this time, my guy is closed for the weekend, so have to wait til Monday morning to tow the vehicle from my place to a GMC place. Grrrrrrrr......... SO ANYWAY, got it back yesterday but while it was there it needed more work (this is a 2004 GMC Envoy.. not an old clunker yet) because I had never taken it in for the 30,000 mile checkup because I was too busy moving 3 times and building a house and living with my in-laws and worrying about my father.... whew... breathe....

SO I'm $700.00 poorer, (yes 700 dollars) but I have my car back. :)

Question: Do you all take your vehicles to the dealer or to your own mechanic? And do you think they are out to "rip you off" and are all these things they do necessary? I just did them because they told me too but why didn't my regular mechanic tell me to do these things? Just curious. I'm vehicle-impaired.

8 Comments:

  • At 6:05 AM, Blogger Norma said…

    I used to take the pathfinder down to the Sunoco service place in Cedarville, b/c we bought it on the cape and the dealer was a jerk...Jim used to take the Grand Prix to the guy in Quincy who handles the company vehicles b/c it was convenient. But now I take the 4-Runner over to Tracy Cadillac in W. Ply. where I bought it...for oil changes so far...and, knock on wood...it won't need more than that for a while! Car trouble SUCKS! FWIW, I feel that Tracy is pretty good and not a rip off..they are GMC certified, obviously, so I recommend them if you are not happy where you go. Good luck! Hey, my kitchen set will be delivered probably while you are here visiting next week!

     
  • At 6:28 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    Goody, We can break it in!

    I do like where we went (Marty's GMC in Kingston) I just don't like how much everything costs...I bought my Blazer at Tracy and they were good there too. Bill just thinks dealers are out to get us!

     
  • At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I take my cars to the local guy and Eddie takes his to the dealer. We are a split family. I do believe the dealers rip you off. You bring it in for one thing and they always find more things wrong. Their rates are definitly higher.

     
  • At 7:28 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    I agree too, Davina. I actually asked the girl at Marty's if it is cheaper elsewhere (like DUH she's gonna tell me) but she said that the only thing I might pay more for are GM parts...

    And when you are stuck without a vehicle and tooling around in your father-in-laws little car for three days, you'll sell your soul to have your own car back!

     
  • At 8:24 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    We always use our own guy. I just don't trust the liars at our local Honda dealeship.
    I hate cars.

     
  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    me too.

     
  • At 9:16 AM, Blogger anonymous blogging woman..... said…

    why would you bring it to the mechanic if its still under warranty? i am just the kind of person who doesn't take it anywhere until it breaks down....so don't ask me anyway!

     
  • At 3:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree the dealer want to rip you to shreds.....
    BUT we take it to M's cousin who works as the service mgr for a dealer and he gives us the truth...We first take it to our dealer then tell them we will be back and then when he says what is wronge we compare and always have him do it....Stephie

     

Post a Comment

<< Home