So Anyway,

Thoughts and comments on happenings in my life....

Thursday, September 06, 2007

Lord, forgive me when I whine

I just read a great book about a young man named Joel Sonnenberg who overcame being burned all over his body at age 2 and suffered such disfigurement but was able to become a motivational speaker, his class president, a soccer player, and was able to put people at ease and even joke about his appearance. I want to have my whole family read it so when we feel down, or overwhelmed, or are just having an overall lousy day, we can also feel blessed. It reminded me of a poem that my Great-Grandma Kelly cut out of the newspaper and read to me when I was a little girl. I found it online. I hope you enjoy it.



Today, upon a bus, I saw a girl with golden hair.
I envied her, she seemed so gay, and wished I was as fair.
When suddenly she rose to leave, I saw her hobble down the aisle.
She had one leg and wore a crutch. But as she passed, a smile.

Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I have 2 legs, the world is mine.

I stopped to buy some candy. The lad who sold it had such charm.
I talked with him, he seemed so glad. If I were late, it'd do no harm.
And as I left, he said to me, "I thank you, you've been so kind.
It's nice to talk with folks like you. You see," he said, "I'm blind."

Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I have 2 eyes, the world is mine.

Later while walking down the street, I saw a child with eyes of blue.
He stood and watched the others play. He did not know what to do.
I stopped a moment and then I said, "Why don't you join the others, dear?"
He looked ahead without a word. And then I knew, he couldn't hear.

Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I have 2 ears, the world is mine.
With feet to take me where I'd go.
With eyes to see the sunset's glow.
With ears to hear what I'd know.
Oh, God, forgive me when I whine.
I've been blessed indeed, the world is mine.

7 Comments:

  • At 1:15 PM, Blogger Dawn said…

    That's a nice poem Karen, sure makes you think. What is the name of the book you mentioned, I'd like to check it out.

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Blogger Karen said…

    Dawn, it was really good. I cried throughout the whole thing. But what an inspiration he is and also his parents. They were the best!

    I posted the title above....

     
  • At 2:59 PM, Blogger Drew said…

    Wow, Karen. What a great reminder. Thanks.

     
  • At 5:01 PM, Blogger Drew said…

    Karen, did you ever hear the phrase "feeling convicted"? --not in the criminal sense.
    I feel convicted by this post. I'm guilty of whining...

     
  • At 3:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    WOW KAREN, so deep and I needed the perspective ....Thanks....Stephie

     
  • At 6:42 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    Drew, we are ALL guilty of whining, usually on a daily basis! But it's all relative, I guess. And I don't forget that we are human, and very far from perfect, but sometimes we all need that kick in the behind :)

     
  • At 8:31 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    Thanks for opening a can of whoop ass!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home