So Anyway,

Thoughts and comments on happenings in my life....

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Peepin and pickin!!!

Leaves and apples that is! What a beautiful (if very looonnnnnnnnnng) drive up the NH this weekend. It is definitely PEAK PEEPING time up north. The reds, oranges and yellows take my breath away.. When you look from the highway up at the mountains it looks like a big patchwork quilt.. As my hubby says, "this is God's country up here" It is just such a breathtaking site. I think everyone in the world has the same idea as us this weekend though because traffic was bumper to bumper. The kids fell asleep and when they woke up they couldn't believe we were still in Massachusetts!

So today we went on our annual apple picking adventure and got a great mix of Macoun, McIntosh, Cortlands and something called Jonathans (never head of em!) I made my very first apple crisp of the season with a little help from Matthew who chopped the apples and stirred the "crust" ingredients.. It is the easiest recipe ever and I got it from a neighbor who was about 12 at the time. I think you could pour this over any fruit and it would be delicious. I have used it over canned peaches in pinch and it was still yummy.. Here it is:

1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1 stick butter (melted)
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 egg

mix together and put in clumps over whatever fruit you choose ( we prepared cut up apples with some sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg sprinkled over them). Pat down mixture to make sure it covers your fruit.

Bake at 350 for one hour and top with your favorite vanilla ice cream!

I also have a healthy apple crisp recipe made with oatmeal but the kids like this one better. I LOVE FALL!

5 Comments:

  • At 6:34 PM, Blogger anonymous blogging woman..... said…

    i love macintosh apples....they don't have them here...they have gala and roman....just NOT the same!

     
  • At 6:35 AM, Blogger Stephie Says..... said…

    So fun.........Apple pickin' just makes fall, feel like fall....
    Yum yum......Have fun up in GODS COUNTRY.....

     
  • At 1:10 AM, Blogger Norma said…

    Yum! Might make that with the girls some afternoon this week!

     
  • At 9:49 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    I'm a Grannie Smith man, myself. I hope the leaves in New Hampshire are still turning this coming weekend. I'll post the pics if they're any good.

     
  • At 4:38 AM, Blogger Karen said…

    Andy, I can't give up the days of YOUTH!!! I need to keep reliving them.. I'll be dragging those kids apple picking and making my Christmas tree cut outs until they leave this house!

    Seriously, it is a fun tradition that we all look forward to. I don't care what they say about Taxachusetts, there is nowhere else I'd rather be!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home